Thursday, August 2, 2012

Three Sisters Stew

This is a traditional Native American dish. Many tribes have grown these crops together throughout their history and have various legends about the three sisters. Nutritionally, this is a power packed meal, because eaten together they provide every single amino acid needed by our bodies for complete nutrition. And it is absolutely delicious! I adapted the recipe here from The Oneida Indian Nation website.

Three Sisters Stew

Ingredients1 large onion, sliced
1 TBS garlic, crushed
2 pickled jalapeno chili, finely chopped
4 cups yellow summer squash, sliced (about 1 pound)
4 cups zucchini, cut into l inch pieces (about 2 medium)
4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1 large)
3 cups green beans, cut into l inch pieces (about 1 pound)
1 can white hominy, undrained
2 16-ounce cans kidney beans, undrained
1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil
14-ounces water
2 tsp cumin
2 TBS cilantro paste (available in tubes in produce section)

Directions
I like it easy, guys, chop everything up, put it in the pot, cook until squash and green beans are tender.  Delicious!

Serves 9 generously

Calories: 244
Carbs:  41g
Fat:  2g
Protein:  11g 
Fiber:  11g
Potassium:   871g

2 comments:

  1. I remember coming across this blog and I couldn't remember how. I have been a vegetarian in the past. I am not now but I love eating this way. Lots of veg and creative ingredients. My teens are very very picky always have been. Do your kids eat your meals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Minelle, Sorry this took so long to reply - I don't usually get replies over here :) Our youngest does - he loves it, even the spicy ones. My oldest is the sensory defensive one, and he cannot tolerate mixed textures, he is doing a little better at adding fruits and veggies here & there, but they have to be firm textured.

      Delete